The operation of an “undesirable guest list” has led to Pontins, the well-known family holiday park company, to be investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission for breaches of the Equality Act 2010.
Pontins have agreed to:
- Conduct an investigation into its ‘Undesirable guest’ list to ensure appropriate action is taken within the organisation and that lessons are learned;
- Commission a review of its current intelligence system, booking policies and commercial vehicle policy to ensure they are not operating in a discriminatory way, and consider any recommendations;
- Provide enhanced training on equality law for staff in its Human Resources team and members of Senior Management;
- Provide training on equality and diversity for all customer facing staff on an annual basis;
- Appoint Equality, Diversity and Inclusion champions across the organisation.
This case is a good example of how management and staff can, in good faith introduce policies and procedures that they believe are beneficial to their company that actually expose their employer to great risk.
Equality problems remain common place, this case illustrates that equality issues are more widespread and prevalent than the headline making #BLM and #MeToo.
All organisations need to ensure management and staff receive regular update training on equality and diversity. Concrew Training’s courses on equality and diversity can be delivered online or face-to-face
Image Credit: “Johns NINA hanging” by Apocknits from 2010. The image is accompanied by this comment from the author “This is the awesome gift my mom got him for Christmas. He saw this and wanted it in Georgia but when we went back for it the place had closed. Mom ordered it from them.