Delivering deeper & more effective learning
This highly practical and interactive one-day course provides clarity on what ‘stretch & challenge’ actually means, how it can promote deeper learning and most importantly of all, the techniques and approaches that enable stretch and challenge in differentiated classrooms and training sessions.
The need to develop and foster a learning environment that supports both the individual and the group, requires practitioners to think about how they might differentiate sessions and deliver teaching, learning and support in a way that meets each learner’s individual needs and ensures all students are ‘stretched and challenged’
This workshop explores current practice, identifying what effective ‘stretch & challenge’ looks like in the classroom, lecture theatre and workshop/tutorial/seminar situations. It also considers how it can be measured and assessed and what inspectors (Ofsted in schools and FE. TEF in HE) are expecting from the best educators. It explores a range of activities that have proved effective in sessions and are challenging to all students. Moreover, how they can be student led thus making the learning a collaborative process. Finally, it considers how these teaching strategies can be used within all learning environments to maximum benefit.
Thought provoking, new ideas to implement, positive Fantastic!
Gave me confidence in what I do and how to improve – Excellent
The session was really helpful and informative – Excellent Session, thank you
Discussion in a non threatening environment, useful links, considering different ways of doing things – very useful and effective
Lots of great but easy ideas
Variety of strategies discussed – Good – Engaging
Identified and evaluated a range of teaching learning – Excellent
Gained a greater understanding of strategies for stretch and challenge – Excellence, relevant, useful
Tools to support stretch and challenge, a detailed understanding of stretch and challenge
Very engaging and practical ideas
Everything was great – Excellent
This workshop is designed for Teachers, Trainers, Lecturers and Tutors from HE, Universities, FE, Colleges, Independent Learning Providers, Academies, Secondary Schools and Local Authorities. The workshop will also be of interest to managers and lesson observers who are responsible for and/or involved in monitoring the quality of teaching and learning and developing its’ quality.
To get maximum benefit from this workshop, each participant should bring with them a teaching activity they have used recently or observed being used, for example: quiz, case study, game, task, project. These might be activities they find effective, challenging or just wish to improve the effectiveness of. The workshop uses these activities to contextualise how and where stretch and challenge could be improved and deeper learning achieved.
Workshop Aims and Objectives:
To help participants:
- Understand, better, the principles and benefits of stretch and challenge
- Assessment for Learning (Afl)
- Differentiation – meeting all students needs
- Teaching strategies – ideas to support stretch & challenge
- Questioning techniques – verbal & written
- Learner Motivation and Ownerships
- Review the benefits of building Assessment for/as Learning (Afl) into sessions
- Consider the key characteristics of more effective questioning
- To Identify successful teaching, learning and assessment strategies/approaches that
- engage and challenge all students
- support the principles of deeper learning, stretch & challenge
- meet the needs of all students
- Evaluate resources (plans) & activities to reflect the needs of all students
- Meet better the needs of individual & groups of students
- Further improve learner learning, progression and achievement
- To provide an opportunity for discussion and dialogue on:
- Targeted & effective questioning Verbal / written
- How to Create stretch and challenge for all learners
- Supporting effective learner progress
- Current Practice and Understanding
Session one explores participants understanding stretch and challenge, the approaches currently used, how where and when they have proved effective.
- The meaning of stretch and challenge
- Measuring stretch and challenge
- Reviewing current approaches to inform development opportunities
- How effective are my approaches to teaching & learning?
- Assessment for Learning (AfL) and its importance within teaching
2.Teaching and Learning – Methodology and Approaches
Session two considers what teachers and trainers are trying to achieve, it explores in some detail the importance of having clear measurable outcomes and objectives for each component in the teaching or training session and the methodology and approaches that can help deliver the desired outcomes.
- Knowing our learners & meeting their needs
- Setting the context for learning
- Using Reflection and Peer Review to embed ownership of learning goals
- Which approaches really support the ideals of differentiation and stretch and challenge?
- Questioning for stretch and challenge
- Developing activities that work
Session three focuses on the development of activities that will both effectively differentiate and work with your students.
- Task Design – effective principles to support stretch and challenge
- Think Challenge choice, collaboration for effective task design and learner outcomes
- What will work for me?
- Building approaches and techniques to use with students
- Putting it all Together
The final session looks at ways the approaches covered can be combined and dovetailed together in order to contribute to an outstanding lesson, teaching or training session. Using supplied templates and guidelines, participants are encouraged to develop an actual lesson or training resource, reflect on its strengths and consider how it could be further improved. In doing so participants begin to put the learning into practice and improve their abilities to develop stretch and challenge and training sessions – even when time is at a premium.