Understanding and applying the techniques that work
Negotiations are an important and daily factor in every aspect of daily activity in the modern workplace. This negotiation training workshop is aimed at professionals of all levels to help them improve the effectiveness of their negotiation skills in any role, situation or career.
Unfortunately negotiation is seldom on equal terms, the will to win is in-built into most business people and those with the most effective negotiation training and experience usually get their own way, this isn’t always in the best interests of the business.
What is needed is for all managers and staff to have robust negotiation skills and be able to present their position in a way that gains respect and understanding and they in turn appreciate the need to consider and evaluate positions and opinions that may differ to their own.
This workshop helps achieve just this A lively interactive workshop it introduces participants to the basics of negotiations and from there how to identify objectives and variables, establish negotiation requirements, research the other party, determine concessions, formulate a plan for agreement, and determine the logistics of a negotiation.
Workshop activities also cover the guidelines for conducting a successful negotiation and facilitating communication, questions a person should ask and appropriate responses, and situations that require a specific negotiation style. Delegates will also learn how to gain control in a negotiation, use various negotiation tactics, and deal with unethical negotiation tactics.
Aims and Objectives
The overarching aim of this course is to enable participants to understand better the most effective techniques behind successful negotiation and then to be able to find and negotiate win-win solutions that lead to valuable long term colleague, business and customer relationships.
In summary, anyone attending this course will be equipped to:-
- Recognise the distinct stages involved in all negotiations
- Recognise the personal soft and technical skills you will need at each stage
- Know how to prepare and plan before each stage
- Know their own preferred negotiation style, and its strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how road blocks and cul-de-sacs happen, and what to do
- Know how influencing and persuasion skills contribute to a productive negotiation
- handle difficult people and conflict situations more effectively
- Work more effectively as part of a negotiating team
Business Skills Workshops
The course is organised within four separate but inter-related modules:
1. Negotiation: The Fundamentals
- What is it?
- Barriers and obstacles to effective negotiation
- The purpose of negotiation
- The principle of win-win in negotiation
- Audit and application of essential skills for effective negotiation
- The five stages of negotiation
- Ten Top Tips in Negotiation
- Going live with a realistic scenario!
2. Principles for Effective Negotiation
- The importance of planning and how to do it!
- Communication skills for effective face to face negotiations
- Influencing skills – the latest research!
- Assertive negotiation
- The importance of effective questioning and listening
- Buying signals and non verbal communication
3. Negotiation in Practice
- Improving self awareness – what’s your personal style? What needs to change?
- Group negotiation exercises to practice key skills
- Personal action planning
4. Negotiation Surgery
- Recognising why negotiations fail
- The top reasons why negotiations fail
- The games some people play
- Tactics which will always help