Applying the approaches that empower students to progress and achieve
When carried out correctly, regular reviews, with students, of their own individual goals, targets, learning and progress makes a significant contribution to their overall progression and achievement; and ultimately inspection results too.
High quality student reviews can also deliver step changes in students’, attitude, motivation and empowerment and related life skills such as communication, problem solving and tenacity.
For any student review to be truly effective, they need to focus the student on what they have done well, what they have achieved and specifically what they need to next to maintain their progression.
Review outcomes need to be tangible and transparent, easily understood, user-friendly and referenced to the students goals and targets. They also need to be timely, ongoing, consistent and friendly.
This is not easy, not even for the most experienced teachers, trainers and support teams.
This one-day workshop provides high quality advice and guidance on the styles, techniques and approaches that have been proven effective in making student reviews more productive
This fast-paced, highly interactive, practical workshop is designed for all those who have to work with groups of students, pupils or learners be they young people or adults.
It is especially suitable for those tasked with carrying out, managing or observing student reviews.
Aims and Objectives
The workshop helps participants develop an approach to progress reviewing that delivers a stimulating experience for students.
One in which all aspects of progress and achievement are captured and clear, measurable, follow on achievement targets are agreed and understood by all parties.
As a result of attending this workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe why student reviews are fundamental in supporting learning & progression
- Explain the key characteristics of the review process
- Produce more effective reviews, that benefit students in achieving their goals
- Increase student ownership and participation in the review process
- Agree clearer and more robust targets with reviewees
- Manage review sessions more effectively
- Develop enhanced studentand employer engagement in the process
- Ensure Teacher & Trainers meet better the needs of individual students
- Engage in discussion and dialogue on:
- the review process
- its benefits to both teachers, trainers and students
- how it ensures effective student progress
1. Current Practice and Understanding
Explores participants understanding of why the review process is fundamental in supporting students to achieve their goals, the approaches currently used, how where and when they have proved effective.
- Why complete reviews- teacher / trainer – learner perspectives
- Current approaches for informing development opportunities
- How effective is my use of feedback?
- Development Opportunities
2. Effective Reviews – The Principles and Process
- The purpose reviews serve related to different types of programme
- The value of reviews to students
- Effective engagement of third parties in the review process
- Building greater ownership of & commitment of to the review
- key characteristics of a poor student review– impact on students and learning.
- key characteristics of a goodstudent review – impact on students and learning
- Planning for success – The key qualities of what makes an effective student review
3. Developing Skills
Development of the skills required by teachers and trainers to ensure their reviews supports and motivates students in achieving their learning goals.
- Effective management of progress review sessions including
- the use of ‘discussion techniques’
- resolving barriers to progress and enhancing motivation
- The characteristics of effective written and oral feedback during the review process
- Developing the skills that support effective student reviews
- active listening
- Developing meaningful and measurable targets that students can own
- Building approaches and techniques to use with students during the review process
- How to produce effective reviews which capture what the student is learning and achieving
- in relation to specific aspects of their programme
- thewider employability or personal development skills that are being developed